Recognised today as one of the great masters of modern architecture, Alvar Aalto (1898-1976) was born in Kuortane, Finland. During a long and prolific career, Aalto designed buildings for almost all key public institutions, as well as standardised housing and private homes. One of the co-founders of Artek, Aalto left a legacy with lasting resonance.
Aalto’s architecture is distinctively Finnish, strongly individual, and marked by a warm humanity. His buildings derive their aesthetic character from their dynamic relationship with their natural surroundings, their human scale, superbly executed details, unique treatment of materials, and the ingenious use of lighting.
Aalto began designing furnishings as a natural extension of his architectural thinking. His first modern piece of furniture was created in 1931-32 for the tuberculosis sanatorium in Paimio, Finland. Artek was set up in 1935 to market and sell his and his wife Aino’s furniture, lighting, and textiles, particularly on international markets.
Due to the uncertainty of Brexit and the continued impact of COVID, some lead times are being impacted as there are back logs at the ports etc. We really appreciate your patience and understanding and thank you for your support in these most unusual times. We are working hard with our suppliers to get your items as quickly as possible.
This item will be ship directly from our warehouse in China. Upon receiving your shipping confirmation, please allow up to 3 - 5 weeks for this item to arrive. Delivery estimates are just that, estimates and some delays may have to be accepted.
IMPORT DUTIES & TAXES
As of 1 January 2021 all orders shipped outside the UK will be subject to pay VAT at their countries rate upon import. This will be payable along with the duty due on your order. All our international orders are shipped according to the Incoterms standards and shipped by the DAP (Duties At Place) terms.
It is your responsibility as the importer to ensure the correct rate of VAT and duty is paid upon import and we'd advise you to check the values your countries import rules and regulations with your local customs office. Payment of these fees are necessary to release your Goods. Failure to make payment will result in delays and potential storage fees of which M-Edition cannot be held responsible, and ultimately the return of the Goods and further costs accrued. The customer is fully responsible for checking their country’s unique policies and rulings with regards to import and Customs. M-Edition cannot be held responsible for any costs incurred from the release of goods from any customs office. Please be advised that we reserve the right to deduct 15% of the total value of the order, from any refund to cover return, storage and insurance, for shipment of goods refused by the customer at Customs in the destination country. Orders shipped outside of the United Kingdom are exempt from UK VAT.
*This item is a reproduction. Our products are not produced by the actual designer nor are they affiliated with the official manufacturers. Any mention of the designer or original product name is only for descriptive purposes. Our products are made in China.
* The product images on this site are there to give you an idea of how the product looks. You cannot rely solely on the image when placing an order. Some images may be there to show a product feature, design, handle style, finish etc. Sometimes, the manufacturer does not provide an image for the item, but will provide a similar image or a different colour to give you an idea of what the product looks like. You must carefully read the specifications or contact us for any information that you are unclear about.
Items are covered by a manufacturer's warranty for 24 months.
Only manufacturing defects are warranted. We do not cover any damages, chips, tears, marks etc caused by the customer either through use or installation of the product.
It is important to note that items with swivel mechanisms can sometimes be treated as fairground rides by minors! Damage to items that have been caused by ‘spinning’ very fast on swivel mechanisms is not covered; only manufacturing defect. We advise concise instruction of minors.
Please take note of the following points in regards to warranty information:
- We are obliged to offer a replacement or repair on Warranted items.
- Wherever possible we always request digital images in order to process and assess any resulting warranty issue.
- In the event of a problem we are obliged the opportunity to correct it and we do not charge shipping or delivery costs for replacements or repairs (within 14 days) unless a) the customer is using the 7-day e-commerce ruling and returning unwanted items b) returning items without giving the opportunity of correcting reported problems or c) the customer is reporting a fault on delivery but has signed as perfect with the courier.
- Outside of 14 days and the items are on a return to base warranty to be repaired or replaced.
We do not take responsibility for damage caused by the customer. Clearly marks, scratches and chips that are not on the product when it arrives are the customers' responsibility.
Made-to-Order items are covered with the same 24-month warranty however are not covered by the 7 day ruling of return as they have been made especially for you.
Warranty is void in all cases whereby any item has been modified from its original condition.